James Banting owned land at Enstone occupied by a tenant, Mr Hooper (fire reported in Jackson’s Oxford Journal 1839)
- Enstone parish comprises the hamlets of Chalford, Cleveley (or Clevely), Enstone-church, Enstone-Neat, Gagingwell, Lidstone, and Radford.
- Its area is 4,850 acres; the rateable value is £8,280; the amount of assessed property is £6,856; and the population in 1831, was 1,172; and in 1841, 1,121 souls.
- The chief proprietors of the soil are viscount Dillon (the lord of the manor); Oriel college, Oxford; Mr. John Jolly; Christchurch college, Oxford, James BantingEsq.; Rev. E. Marshall; Mr. Nathaniel Parsons, and Mr. Philip Hickin.
- The soil is chiefly a stone brash, and about two thirds of this parish is ploughed land.
James may have sold this land or acquired more land because at the time of the 1841 census he is living on a farm at Warton in Oxfordshire. This farm was sold after his death in 1859.
Jackson’s Oxford Journal 16th April 1859 advertised the following property:
Property of James Banting, 26 half bred fat sheep, 25 short horn cattle, 11 pigs, 7 cart horses and a two year old and a yearling colt.
In the 1851 census James is living in Beaumont Mansion Beaumont St, Oxford (just down from the Ashmolean Library)
This house was advertised to let in Jackson’s Oxford Journal 9th April 1859 and his furniture, presumably for sale on 23rd April 1859
Dining and drawing room suites in mahogany and rosewood, handsome chimney glasses in gilt frames, turkey carpet in good condition, mahogany 4 post and other bedsteads, wardrobe also neat 4 wheel phaeton, set of harness, 2 saddles and bridles.
The map below shows where the properties of James Banting were:
View Property James Banting 1779 – 1859 in a larger map